What are Anti-Wrinkle Injections?
These are injectable treatments composed of purified botulinum toxin. They are the most well known injectable product used in the treatment of fine lines, wrinkles and frown lines.
It works by temporarily disrupting nerve signals to the muscles where it is injected, this causes temporary paralysis of these muscles which causes patients to no longer be able to make facial expressions which lead to the creation of dynamic wrinkles. These are the wrinkles that form when you squint, frown, or smile, such as crow’s feet, glabellar lines, or horizontal forehead lines. With modern injection techniques patients are able to achieve a natural look with the ability to still make facial expressions and can avoid the 'frozen' look.
Benefits of Anti-Wrinkle Injections?
They are most widely used for the treatment of fine lines and wrinkles. It is not limited as just as an anti aging treatments. Some of the multiple benefits of anti-wrinkle injections include:
- Remove visible signs of aging: Anti-wrinkle injections is the gold standard in preventing deep lines and wrinkles from forming whilst also smoothing out current lines and wrinkles.
- Jawline Slimming: Injecting anti-wrinkle injections into the masseter muscle in the jaw helps to define the jawline and slim the face to create a more feminine look.
- Treat excessive sweating (Hyperhidrosis): Hyperhidrosis is medical condition which causes a person to excessively sweat. Anti-wrinkle injections work to prevent excessive sweating by paralyzing the overactive nerves that are causing the body to sweat excessively in the area that is injected.
- TMJ, teeth grinding and jaw clenching: Temporomandibular joint disorders are conditions affecting the jaw joints and surrounding muscles and ligaments. Common symptoms of TMJ are teeth grinding, jaw clenching, migraines, difficulty chewing and jaw pain. Anti-wrinkle injections can be highly effective in the treatment of TMJ and can improve symptoms caused by the condition.
- Gummy Smile (Lip Flip): A gummy smile is one in which the upper lip sits higher than the teeth and the gums are exposed. This can leave people feeling self-conscious when smiling and laughing. Anti-wrinkle injections can be used to treat a gummy smile and achieve a lip flip by injecting into the overactive muscle to reduce the elevation of your upper lip creating a more natural, softer looking smile.
How long do Anti-Wrinkle injections last?
In general, the effects of anti-wrinkle injections usually lasts four to six months after treatment. Using it regularly can help the effects to last for longer periods of time with each use. It paralyzes the muscles so you can’t use them. If muscles aren’t used, they get shorter and smaller. This means that you may need fewer anti-wrinkle treatments over time to get the same effect.